Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wailing woman

By Manish Anand

On an evening full of frenetic work, a sight of a wailing woman could have been avoided. But the woman had stunned the whole of the Green Market on Saturday evening near my office place that it was hard to ignore her. Her male companion (boy friend!) was running after, while she, a young woman in her 20s, was simply running here and there with all her screams. First impulse was to ignore and get back to calling the politicians for my story, but even from a distant she was all wailing.

At last, I took a break and went after to know what was the matter. There she was pleading with folded hands to the parking attendant with a motley crowd in tow: "I already have big burglary at my house. I cant afford theft of my car now. Please return my car."

Her car was stolen from the parking lot. Her male companion now was shouting at her to calm down. My journalistic instinct now called for an intervention. I asked the lady to calm down. Asked whether she had the parking slip, she flashed one. I asked her to preserve that carefully.

A cop was part of a crowd at a distance and seemed not interested to help the lady in the distress. I summoned him and asked him to help the lady. "Get in touch with the parking manager and find out her car," I really gave the direction to which he instantly complied and I left for my work.

A wailing woman is a terrible sight. You must see to it to know this.

In the book of history, the story of Kannagi is very powerful. If i remember it correctly, she had gone out in the Cholan city, cursing the king after he had falsely implicated her husband in a case of theft, and later the curse had fallen on the king. She is still worshipped, i suppose.

I dont know whether the lady got her car back or not. But she must get it or her heart would really be broken.

No comments: