Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Bye Lala!

It will be tough to explain to my son where Lala and his fellow teletubbies have gone. I could sense my upcoming challenge, as the TV scroll noted BBC's CBeebies being shut down by the broadcaster from November 30. So, with one stroke of the decision, the BBC is taking CBeebies out of my son's life. 

For the past two and a half years, I have happily responded to my son's wish to watch Lala (his name for CBeebies). With him, I too enjoyed watching Lala rolling over the slope, playing with each other and overjoyed watching videos of play activities of children. 

Teleteubbies.
Photo from www.dooyoo.co.uk
I have been overjoyed with my son taking first steps of dance, while watching Boogie Beebies. The CBeebies through its various show introduced my son virtually to the various facets of world. He was introduced to various species of birds, animals. He developed interest in colouring, after watching Mr Maker showing him his of painting and making anything quickly. 

As a parent, I am at much loss with the shutting down of CBeebies in India. This will deprive my son of the only channel, which could have exposed him to the world without seeding him with violence, fantasy and longing for electronic gadgets. 

Once during a vacation, my son was exposed to Pogo channel's Chota Bheem and since then I try every excuse to ensure that he does not watch this. Chota Bheem, though a kid, is a super hero who can break all teeth of a tiger with one punch; can defeat an army without any trouble; and is Prime Minister of a kingdom. It's a children show with an adult mindset. Same is the case with Doraemon, which again is a show of fantasy full of electronic gadgets. 

Thus following the shutdown of CBeebies, I shall be left with no option but to cut down TV from the life of my son. In Delhi's pigeonhole lifestyle, cutting down TV is a tough task.    

It's rightly said that children's minds are very impressionable. The world around him leaves deep impression on his mind. He would be like what he is made to see. There are some who prefer to disconnect TV connections, after a child is born in their homes. This is another way of cutting off ill-effects of children shows on TV. They are right also for the fact, that most of the children show on TV are made with an adult's mindsets. 

But irony is that the BBC has to shut down its operations despite so much of goodwill. In childhood, I used to watch my grandparents scramble to radio sets to listen to its Hindi news bulletin, with pin drop silence and only a word used to be uttered after the bulletin ended. Even though news channels have mushroomed, none can capture the imagination of the people like the BBC. Nothing was confirmed unless stated by the BBC.

Therefore, I am equally sure that there would not be any channel which would come anywhere near the CBeebies. We are in a time where programmes are made for commercial interest only. But creativity can not be a byproduct of commercial interests, though creative works may yield profit in various forms. 

So, "sun setting in the sky, teletubbies it's time to say goodbye" may not be heard in India after November 30. With lots of regret and thank you, I say "Bye Lala". Hope to seen you back soon. 

2 comments:

http://mindlesslampoons.blogspot.com/ said...

As a parent,I share these views of yours. Was sheer joy to watch an ad free channel.Like you, hope to see the channel return soon.

Unknown said...

My son grew watching cbeebies.
he is 4 now and the only channel which keeps running in our house is cbeebies. My daughter just turned one and she was developing interest in watching teletubbies and the night garden but now it is very unfortunate to miss such a beautiful no nonsense channel like cbeebies. Hope BBC makes up its mind to broadcast it again in India.