Tuesday, December 27, 2005

God calling

by Onkar Kashyap

In the last few years, my belief in the existence of a supreme power has been strengthened through unique personal experiences. It is said, “Some things you need to see to believe. Some others you need to believe to see.” God (whatsoever be the definition) definitely falls in the second category.

By this piece, I attempt to share such experiences. I hope they trigger readers to question their beliefs and maybe, and some will start believing beyond the ordinary.
This particular episode happened during my recent trips to Rai Bareli, a town in west Uttar Pradesh. On a visit to my place, I took a night bus from Jaipur, which dropped me in New Delhi at six in the morning, five-and-a-half hour later. From Delhi I had to take a train And then take a train that leaves Delhi and drops me for Rai Barreli. At the guest house, I sat down for some chat with Suresh, contractor of the guest house.


Over dinner, I told him of my travel to Rai Barreli and he mentioned that since I was going all the way to Rai Barreli, I should also plan a visit to a nearby town famous for Sai Baba temple and pay homage to Sai Baba. I have a different sense of religion and do not put much stock in any kind of temple or image. I hardly ever visit temple and whenever I do, it is when it is least populated. So, in tune with my sensibilities, I replied to Suresh’s suggestion with haste and maybe with some contempt. I said, “Who has the time for a visit to temple?” Something inside me shouted — “mistake!”, but since he did not react, I too kept silent.


The early morning air in Delhi was fresh and one could feel a lot of life in it. Delhi probably never sleeps and true to this image there were people even at early hour. There was a certain bounce in my walk. This was helped by the wonderful FM music on air. What else could I have asked for? Before I realised I had reached the spot where I was to board the train. Waiting is usually the difficult part in any journey and I prefer to be on the move. Sure, there are occasions when simply sitting without a thought or movement is bliss. I looked around for a place to settle down as the train was due two hours later.


Then, I caught sight of a small structure with stairs in front of it. This was under a tree and poor light prevented a clear view of what was inside the structure. It looked like a temple, but was not clear. Anyway, I settled down. I stretched my legs and continued to enjoy the FM music. A tea vendor nearby leaped my joy. So passed my next one hour. By then the sun had peeked through the darkness and it was a cozy (but not bright) light around. I got up for my next cup of tea. The shock came when I returned to the stairs which had been bearing me for the last 60 minutes. The “mandir” was of Sai Baba. For a few seconds I just stared. And in those moments, I was grounded into dust. I felt washed away and in some strange manner being loved. My nonchalance of the last evening flashed by and I rarely felt ‘smaller’ in my life. I also experienced an absence of ego.


Once I got through the shock a smile broke my lips. A silent thank you was said somewhere. Not only for the generosity of God, but more for his utterly unique and unforgettable manner of teaching a lesson. It is said there is no teacher greater than life. I agree! Now on each occasional I go through Delhi I sunk into the pleasure of sitting on the same stairs. Each time I feel reminded of my lesson. Each time I feel loved and wanted. Each time I feel connected and belonging to the universe. Time did not permit me a visit to temples and that too of famous one. Hopefully, I have still been lucky to realise a truth and be blessed with. I have purposefully left out putting into words on my realisation. It needs to be felt and not read or written. One passing note – there is hardly a day when we are not touched and caressed by God and Life. One need not read any book if one can read the book of life.


One full lifetime. One full circle.

No comments: